Activities - Sri Lanka
Colombo is the business and commercial center of Sri Lanka, and the new capital is Sri Jayawardhanapura Kotte is only a few miles away. Sri Lanka has over time been ruled by both the Portuguese, the Dutch and the British, and remains of the colonization can be found in every area of the city. None of the Portuguese and Dutch fortifications are found today, but some of their buildings and churches could be seen in the Fort & Pettah areas.
Worth visiting while in Colombo:
- Fort - the former British administrative center and military garrison
- Sea Street - the Goldsmith’s quarters in the heart of Pettah
- The Bazaar area - where there is also a Hindu Temple with elaborate stone carvings
- The Kaymans Gate - with the Belfry at the original gate to enter the Fort
- The Dutch Church of Wolfendhaal - dating back to 1749
- Kelaniya Buddhist Temple
- Davatagaha Mosque
- Colombo Museum and the Natural History Museum
- The BMICH (Bandaranaike Memorial International Conference Hall)
- The replica of Avukana Buddha
- The Independence Square
Close to Colombo are a few sites also well worth a visit:
- Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage - appr. 55 miles from Colombo
- Kandy - the hill capital, a World Heritage Site
- Royal Botanical Gardens - Peradeniya
- Kandy Esala Perahera – an annual event that is held during the mid-summer nights during the months of July / August every year for 10
- Spice Gardens at Matale – cinnamon, cardamom, pepper creepers and all other spice trees, plants and creepers are planted for visitors to see
- Dambulla - a vast isolated rock mass 500 feet high and a mile around the base
- Sigiriya – also known as Lion Rock, is a World Heritage Site, and the 5th Century “Fortress in the Sky” is perhaps the most fantastic single wonder of the island
- Anuradhapura - the most celebrated of Sri Lanka’s ancient ruined cities
- Wilpattu National Park – home to a great variation of wild life and many species of birds
If you know where you
want to go and you're ready to book, contact us using the details below, or click on the button to use our simple form
T +46 (0) 301 22100
Want an offer?
’Help please' button, answer the questions, and our friendly sales staff will be in touch with you soon.
Need some advice?
Our office is full of divers that love to travel and are happy to advise you in planning your next dive holiday.